Saturday, January 30, 2016

Brooklyn (2015) / Quest for Fire (1981)

I love Brooklyn's costumes. Absolutely adore them. Everything Saoirse Ronan wears, I want in my closet. Which makes me wonder: am I focusing too much on the superficial aspects of the film? I know, I know, movies are a visual medium, blah blah blah, but my weakness for early 50s women's fashions completely overshadow any other points I could make about Brooklyn, such as its wonderful script, or its charming cast. Better critics than I have already covered that ground, so instead I'm going to be clicking through the Modcloth catalogue.

Imdb reveals that Quest for Fire was at one time DVD packaged with Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes (2001). Who came up with this idea? Admittedly, apemen are briefly seen in the earlier movie, though these are more similar to the bone throwing ones in 2001: A Space Odyssey. And both movies have leads who fall into uncomfortable romances: Ika (Rae Dawn Chong) becomes enamored of her rapist Naoh (Everett McGill), and Mark Wahlberg's Captain Davidson plants a far more amorous smacker than Charlton Heston ever attempted on the chimp lips of Ari (Helena Bonham Carter).

No comments:

Post a Comment